Sunday, April 10, 2011


MORE THAN JUST MEETING

"SAM THE SHAM"


In 1992, I was in San Pedro Sula, Honduras watching the Desi Awards show on TV(something like the Grammy’s for Latinos). Sam Zamudio—Sam the Sham of Wooly Bully fame, was awarded the humanitarian award for his work in Memphis prisons. Being a 60’s music freak, it grabbed my attention. Who could forget the pulsating organ and yells of “watch it, now, watch it”!? As Sam’s picture was shown on the screen I noticed a Bible under his arm. That, too, got my attention.


Cheech Marin was hosting the show and announced Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs onto the stage. Sam came out with his turban and all the get up. Cheech had announced they would play Wooly Bully. Sam walked onto the stage and looked straight into the camera and said these words, “Before I sing, I want to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ for lifting me out of the pit of sin and setting my feet on the Solid Rock.” What? A 60’s star testifying of faith in Christ? Insane! The organ blasted out and the sax blared the up-and-down melody of the intro. “Hattie told Matty, about a thing she saw….” Sam was in his glory.


I was working in a prison while doing missionary work in Honduras. I just couldn’t resist trying to call Sam on the phone. But where does one begin to track down a 60’s rock and roll star by phone—from Honduras?! Johnny Rivers’ lyrics “Long distance information give me Memphis Tennessee….” popped into my mind and that’s exactly what I did.


I asked for a Sam Zamudio.


The operator said, “I have a Domingo but no Sam.”


“Give me the Domingo…that’s probably his dad,” I said.


I dialed the number and a raspy voice said ‘Hello” Stabbing in the dark, I said, “Um, I’m looking for a Sam Zamudio”


“This is he speaking,” Sam said. What? ME talking on the phone with a 60’s star? Insane!


I identified myself as a missionary working in Honduras and that I had seen him on the Desi Awards. He burst into a 45-miniute, almost non-stop chain of stories and anecdotes that made it clear he was still the same ole Sam the Sham with that crazy sense of humor and love for life. (He ran up my phone bill too—at $2.50 a minute! And it was worth every penny!


I couldn’t believe it. I had learned that Sam was of Latino descent and that he had actually worked in some of the prisons in Honduras.


A few years went by and I had the crazy urge to meet Sam in person. I called him and asked to come see him in Memphis. Although we had never met and it had been a few years since I talked to him on the phone, he acted like we were old friends. “Sure, come on down,” he said.


A friend of mine flew me down to Memphis in his little plane and Sam met us at the airport. What? A 60’s star picking ME up at the airport? Insane!


No fluff, no guff with Sam. He’s as down to earth as they come. We climbed into his old Chevy pick-up and headed in town for some great Memphis barbeque. What? The 60’s star taking ME to dinner? Insane!


What an amazing story Sam has. We talked and talked. I said to him, “OK, tell me. Who is Hattie and who is Matty? (referring to the names in Wooly Bully. “I don’t know,” he laughed.


About that time Sam asked, “Where are you guys staying tonight?”


“I don’t know…some hotel,” I replied.


“You’re welcome to stay at my house if you want,” he offered, in a low-key voice. What? A 60’s star inviting ME to stay at HIS house? Insane!


I looked at my pilot friend and tried to hide my excitement. “That would be great,” I said.


We hopped back into his rusty pick-up and headed to his country home. Once there, we met his family and he took us up to our room. We actually stayed in Sam’s music room which had a guitar and keyboard—and a bed.


My pilot friend plays fiddle and he pulled it out of the case. Sam listened as my the mellow notes flowed from the violin. Next, Sam handed me his guitar. What? ME playing for a 60’s star? Insane! I began to play a familiar song. Sam cheered us on.


When heading up the steps to load CD’s in his player, Sam yelled out with that scratchy Wooly Bully voice, “Watch it now, watch it!” Until the late night hours we sat in Sam’s living room and listened to his CD’s of the original music he has been doing since he disbanded Sam the Sham and Pharaohs. With almost every song there was a long story about what had inspired it.


As the night grew late, Sam told stories of surviving years of hard living and wild partying, I asked him how he came to know Christ. Without a second of hesitation Sam said, “I had an Aunt Grace who never quit praying for me.”


We headed up to bed. Next morning we were to fly on to Alabama. I invited Sam to go to breakfast with us. What? ME inviting a 60’s star to a meal? Insane? Sam drove us to…McDonalds. Three Egg McMuffins and three cups of coffee later we were on our way to the airport.


The weather was iffy. We were not IFR equipped. Sam walked us out to the plane. We popped the canopy of Jerry's homebuilt RV-4 and began loading our gear.


“Hey, before you go, let me pray for you!” Sam offered. What? A 60’s star PRAYING for ME? Super-insane!!! We joined hands in a circle beside the plane and Sam prayed a heartfelt prayer for our safety.


As we fired up the engine Sam yelled, “Hey be careful! And if y’all get into trouble with the weather come on back—you can stay another night or two.” We thanked him one more time and took off.


Sam’s prayer was answered. We arrived safely in Alabama. But far more importantly, Sam's Aunt Grace's prayer was answered--and now Sam's no sham--he's the real thing!


Sixties rock star to Christian artist! What? Insane—but true!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting story. I used to play that record back on the days of AM Radio. In fact I just bet you remember hearing it on KRUX, 1360, Glendale Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this story Tom!! So glad you posted it. Also glad you are blogging. I'll be looking forward to more. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work ... hey --- how about a story on Snyder and company!

    ReplyDelete